August 1, 1968 Delbert and Eloise Herrin, along with their 2-year-old son, Kevin, drove into Texas City, Texas. Their destination was a rented house at 1025 23rd Avenue North. Their purpose was to follow the call of God to a little Pentecostal Church on 22nd Street as the new pastor. It was a small congregation of about 20 members, but the Herrins were welcomed warmly.
The church grew steadily for the next two years, and the members were able to buy an abandoned church building on 29th Street. It was quite a job to restore this church building, but the people worked willingly, and after three years built a new sanctuary, classrooms, and offices. Delbert and Eloise served in this pastorate for 25 years.
In 1984, Kevin graduated from Texas City High School, and left in the fall for Jackson College of Ministries in Jackson, MS. He graduated in 1987 and traveled the nation in ministry for three years, until the Lord called him back to Texas City to become his father’s assistant pastor, youth leader, and choir director. He found the love of his life, Melissa Brown, and they were married in Newark, Ohio in May of 1990. Kevin and Melissa served the church faithfully for the next three years.
In June of 1993, Pastor Delbert was led of the Lord to leave the congregation of Christ Temple on 29th Street, and the denomination he’d held ministerial license with for 30 years, to begin a new independent church. Christ Church Fellowship held its first service June 20, 1993 in the old Tradewinds Theater at 1200 21st St North. It was occupied at that time by the Texas City Opry, who sub-leased one of the auditoriums to the Herrins. After only a year CCF was able to lease the whole building and do some renovations.
The church has grown steadily over the years and has become one of the city’s largest churches. Around 2001, Kevin and Melissa were ordained senior pastors of the church while Delbert and Eloise took the bishop position and now oversee this and many other ministries. That same year CCF paid cash for 10 acres at 2222 Highway 146 North in Texas City. In 2006, the church broke ground on that property and built what is now called The Fellowship of Texas City.
At present, The Fellowship averages around 700 worshipers on any given week.